7 Strategies to Keep Your Passion and Purpose Fire Burning
It’s important to keep your passion alive to fuel your purpose. After all, without purpose you’ll get to the end of whatever it is you’re doing right now and ask, “What the hell was all that for?”
Trust me. I just turned 50 and most of my life has been lived with a weak purpose backed by almost zero passion.
Fortunately, today is a new day. And along the way, I’ve learned a few things. Things that matter more than anyone cares to admit.
So, use these strategies consistently to feed the flames in your life:
- Keep in mind that success breeds more success. Celebrate your small victories. Share your achievements with others who appreciate your work and mission. Make a list and mark off each step as you complete it.
- Find your tribe. If there are others doing similar work, either locally or online, connect with them. There’s nothing more stimulating than groupthink and people with a shared mission supporting each other. The synergy leads to more passion. Even a bit of healthy competition can be a good thing.
- Revisit your goal and action steps to see your progress. When it seems to take forever to complete a step toward your goal, remind yourself of the journey. Seeing your progress can be powerful, so create a clear path and reasonable steps.
- Goals and actions should be just out of reach, but attainable. Ensure your action steps are not too ambitious. If necessary, break them into smaller pieces that can be attained more easily. We want to stretch, but action steps should be within reach.
- Find external reminders of why you do what you do. Call, email, or visit someone who benefits from your mission, or someone who could benefit. Seeing or talking to others who want what you offer confirms your mission and rekindles the flame.
- Stay up-to-date on the success of those who do similar work. When one person or group succeeds it often opens doors for others. Get Google alerts about your topic of interest or read the blogs and newsletters of others with a similar mission. Celebrate their progress, as well.
- Remember to feed the body and soul. In order to keep a sharp focus and sound mind, it’s important to tend to your body and soul. Remember to eat, sleep, and move so you have the physical energy to stay the course. Replenish your soul in any way that works for you – just do it regularly.
I could do an entire 3 day seminar on these 7 ideas. And maybe someday I will. For now, go back and see how you could apply even one of these ideas to your life right now.
In your corner,